| selegiline Hcl |
Selegiline Hcl is used to treat Parkinson s disease. It is used along with levodopa or levodopa/carbidopa to make it more effective.
- Store at room temperature away from sunlight and moisture.
- If overdose is suspected, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Symptoms of overdose may be absent for up to 12 hours and may include excitement, irritability, restlessness, dizziness, weakness, drowsiness, flushing, sweating, fast heartbeat, headache, confusion, and seizures.
Selegiline Hcl 5 mg 60 ct
- Take Selegiline Hcl as prescribed.
- Do not increase your dose or take it more often than directed.
- It may take a few weeks for the full benefits of Selegiline Hcl to be noticed.
- Do not stop taking Selegiline Hcl without first consulting your doctor.
- Selegiline Hcl may cause stomach upset, loss of appetite, nausea, heartburn or dry mouth.
- These effects should subside as your body adjusts to the medication.
- If they continue or become bothersome, inform your doctor.
- To relieve dry mouth, suck on (sugarless) hard candy or ice chips, chew (sugarless) gum, drink water or use saliva substitute.
- Infrequently, Selegiline Hcl may increase the skin s sensitivity to sunlight.
- If this happens to you, avoid prolonged sun exposure, wear protective clothing and use a sunscreen.
- Avoid sunlamps.
- Selegiline Hcl can cause dizziness and lightheadedness especially during the first few days of therapy.
- Avoid tasks requiring alertness if you experience these effects.
- Notify your doctor promptly if you develop any of the following side effects: severe headache, chest pain, irregular heartbeat, tremors, clumsiness, confusion, involuntary movements (especially of the hands or face), nightmares, hallucinations, difficulty breathing, difficulty urinating.
- If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Before using Selegiline Hcl, tell your doctor your medical history, especially of: peptic ulcer, allergies (especially drug allergies).
- Selegiline should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy.
- Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
- It is not known if Selegiline Hcl is excreted into breast milk.
- Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
- If you miss a dose, take as soon as remembered; do not take if it is almost time for the next dose, instead, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule.
- Do not "double-up the dose to catch up.
- Selegiline Hcl should not be used with the following medications because very serious interactions may occur: apraclonidine, brimonidine, bethanidine, bupropion, buspirone, carbamazepine, dextromethorphan, entacapone, herbal products (e.g., ma huang), indoramin, meperidine, papaverine, sibutramine, SSRI antidepressants (e.g., fluoxetine, citalopram), sympathomimetics (e.g., methylphenidate, ephedrine), tolcapone, tricyclic antidepressants (e.g., amitriptyline, doxepin), "triptans (e.g., sumatriptan, zolmitriptan).
- If you are currently using any of these medications, tell your doctor or pharmacist before starting selegiline.
- Before using Selegiline Hcl, be sure to tell your doctor what medicines (both prescription and nonprescription) you are taking, including: levodopa, insulin and oral antidiabetic drugs, other MAO inhibitors (e.g., furazolidone, linezolid, moclobemide, phenelzine), tryptophan, sedatives and drugs used to aid sleep, drugs used for blood pressure.
- Consult your doctor about the need to watch your intake of foods containing tyramine.
- It is possible consuming tyramine- containing foods while using Selegiline Hcl could cause headache and/or increased blood pressure and could lead to a medical emergency.
- Tyramine food precautions should be observed for at least 2 weeks after you stop using Selegiline Hcl.
- The following is a partial list of tyramine-containing foods: Meat or Fish - pickled herring/liver/dry sausage/salami/meats prepared with tenderizer; Dairy - yogurt/sour cream/aged cheeses (cream or cottage cheese are okay); Beverages - beer/red wine/sherry - Avoid excessive amount of caffeine-containing colas/coffee/tea; Fruits and Vegetables - avocado/bananas/figs/raisins/broad beans/sauerkraut; Other - yeast extract/soy sauce/large amounts of chocolate.
- Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.