| TussinCF |
Guaifenesin is an expectorant which helps to loosen mucus. Dextromethorphan suppresses a cough. Decongestants relieve nasal stuffiness. This combination medication is used to treat a cough and relieve symptoms associated with the common cold, allergies, hay fever, sinusitis and other respiratory illnesses.
- Drink plenty of fluids, especially water while taking this medication.
- It will help to break up mucus and clear congestion.
- Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 to 30 degrees C) away from heat and light.
- Do not store in the bathroom.
- This medication is best taken with a full glass of water after a meal or snack.
- Swallow long acting tablets and capsules whole.
- Do not crush or chew them because the long action will be destroyed and the chance of side effects will be increased.
- Take this medication as prescribed.
- Do not increase your dose or take this more often than directed.
- Mild dizziness, mild drowsiness, headache, loss of appetite, nausea, dry mouth or nervousness may occur.
- If any of these effects persist or worsen, inform your doctor.
- Notify your doctor if you develop chest pain, a rapid pulse, skin rash, painful or difficult urination, tremors, extreme nervousness or trouble sleeping.
- If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor your medical history, especially of kidney disease, heart disease, lung disease, asthma, emphysema, high blood pressure, an overactive thyroid, diabetes, glaucoma, prostate trouble or if you have any drug allergies.
- This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy.
- Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
- This medication may be excreted into breast milk.
- Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as remembered; do not take it if it is near the time for the next dose, instead, skip the missed dose and resume your usual dosing schedule.
- Do not double the dose to catch up.
- Tell your doctor of all prescription and nonprescription medications you may use, especially medication for blood pressure, MAO inhibitors (e.g., phenelzine, furazolidone, moclobemide, procarbazine, selegiline), sibutramine, and of narcotic pain medicines (e.g., codeine, morphine).
- Limit your intake of alcoholic beverages while taking this medication.
- Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.