USES: This medication blocks secretion of acid from the stomach. It is used to relieve heartburn and acid indigestion.
| TagametHB |
This medication blocks secretion of acid from the stomach. It is used to relieve heartburn and acid indigestion.
- For best results, this medication is often used along with lifestyle changes such as stress-reduction programs, exercise, dietary changes and smoking cessation.
- Talk to your health care professional about changes you can benefit from.
- Store at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 to 30 degrees C) away from heat and light.
- Do not store in the bathroom.
- This medication is taken by mouth.
- As symptoms occur, take 2 tablets with water or follow your doctor's instructions.
- This medication can be taken up to 2 times per day (4 tablets in 24 hours).
- Do not take 4 tablets per day continuously for more than 2 weeks without your doctor's approval.
- If you are taking antacids in addition to this medication, stagger the doses so they are not taken at the same time.
- Try to space dosing of this medication and antacids by at least 2 hours.
- Although unlikely at usual doses, headache, sleepiness, dizziness may occur as your body adjusts to the medication.
- Hair loss, increased sweating, anxiety, change in sex drive, and change in taste perceptions may also occur.
- If any of these effects continue or become bothersome, inform your doctor.
- Notify your doctor if you develop a skin rash, hives, a change in heartbeat, jaundice, diarrhea, mental confusion, depression, trouble urinating, joint or muscle pain, or breathing difficulty while taking this medication.
- Notify your doctor immediately if you notice black, tarry stools or "coffee ground" vomit which may suggest bleeding.
- If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor if you have any pre-existing liver disease, kidney disease or any allergies.
- Elderly persons may be more sensitive to the effects of this medication.
- This medication should be used only if clearly needed during pregnancy.
- Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
- Since small amounts of this medication are found in breast milk, consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
- This medication is taken as needed.
- However, do not take more than 4 tablets in 24 hours.
- This medication can affect how your body responds to other medications.
- It is important to tell your doctor of any over-the-counter or prescription medication you may take including antacids, alcohol, heart medication, blood thinners, medication for anxiety, blood pressure, seizures, diabetes, depression, narcotic pain relievers, ketoconazole, itraconazole and theophylline.
- Cigarette smoking can affect this medication.
- Tell your doctor if you smoke and if you stop or start smoking while using this medication.
- This medication is available in both prescription and over-the-counter formulations.
- Do not take both at the same time.
- Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.