| Florinef |
This medication is used to treat low levels of corticosteroid hormones (e.g., Addison's disease). Fludrocortisone may also be used for certain types of low blood pressure.
- This medication must be used under close medical supervision.
- Laboratory tests will be done periodically to check the effects of this medication.
- Store at room temperature and keep away from moisture and sunlight.
- Do not store in the bathroom.
- This medication must be taken exactly as directed.
- Do not increase your dose or take this more often than directed.
- Do not suddenly stop taking this medication without your doctor's permission.
- An increase in side effects can occur when the medication is suddenly stopped.
- This medication is generally well tolerated.
- Notify your doctor if you develop any of the following while taking this medication: dizziness, swelling of the hands or feet, rapid weight gain, water retention, skin rash, unusual bruising, severe or continuous headaches, weakness or joint pain.
- If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor if you have thyroid disease, liver disease, herpes eye infection, glaucoma, mental or emotional problems, stomach or intestinal problems, heart disease, high blood pressure, kidney disease, brittle bones, myasthenia gravis, history of tuberculosis, seizures or blood clots.
- Ask your doctor about restricting salt intake.
- This drug should be used in pregnant or nursing women only if clearly needed.
- Discuss the risks and benefits of this therapy with your doctor.
- Take any missed dose as soon as possible but not if it is almost time for the next dose.
- If it is time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your regular schedule.
- Do not "double-up" the dose.
- Tell your doctor of any nonprescription or prescription drugs you may be taking including barbiturates, phenytoin, rifampin, estrogens, NSAIDs, diuretics, oral blood thinners, vaccines, aspirin, cyclosporine, pyridostigmine, neostigmine, drugs to treat diabetes, digoxin, or other steroid medication.
- Do not start or stop any medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.